Saturday, July 16, 2011

College Summit Manhattan College



It is July which means it is time for College Summit! I'm at my first of two workshops for the summer, typing this from my extra long twin bed at Manhattan College. Tonight's banquet was full of some really powerful personal statement 'sneak peeks' and I'm impressed, as always, with the work that the peer leaders have been putting in.

At one point during tonight's event a young woman thanked her college coach for being the first person she can remember to every sit down for an hour and listen to her wants, dreams, and aspirations. These workshops are a reminder for me of the power of resilience. I am humbled, honored, and thrilled to have the opportunity to meet these dynamic, kind, strong young people with powerful stories to tell. I encourage any college graduate reading this to volunteer next year as a writing coach. You don't need to be a writer or a teacher, just have an open mind and heart and you'll be perfect for the job.

Next week I'll have an encore performance as a college coach at College Summit: Amherst Edition!