Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy Update

What to do when a major weather emergency falls right as many EA/ED/Priority applications are due?  First off - remember that your family's safety and comfort are always going to be more important that deadlines. So first, take a minute to be glad that you made it through the storm unscathed.

Next, if you have power, you can check with the individual school websites and the Common App website to see if any deadlines have been adjusted for those involved in the storm. Regardless, I always encourage not waiting until the last minute, so even if a school is giving you until Monday to submit, if you have your app completed, go ahead and submit it. Then, on Monday, turn in a transcript request form so I will know what school documents to send. If you need a copy of the transcript request form, it can be printed from the ElRo College Office website 'Senior' tab.

Remember - deadlines are for STUDENTS. Your application should be submitted by the deadline (either original or extended, if applicable). Your teacher letters and school documents will be sent in after so please don't stress if you don't see them listed as 'completed' in Naviance. That is my job to worry about, not yours ;)

If you were supposed to have your Senior meeting with me this week, we will need to reschedule. Be patient and flexible and I promise I'll get to meet with everyone at some point. In the meantime, if you have a deadline, just send me an email letting me know what apps you are submitting before meeting with me. I just want to be in communication with you so nothing is a big surprise.

My thoughts are with everyone that was touched by the storm. Many people are going to have a long road of repair and grief ahead of them. College applications are important, but there is a lot more to life than personal statements and SAT scores.

See you next week.