Wednesday, June 28, 2017

NYSACAC 2017 SUNY Geneseo


The end of the year has been wild! Sorry this post is so tardy!

Earlier this month, because of an NYCDOE Office of Post Secondary Readiness grant, I had the good fortune of being able to attend the 2017 NYSACAC Conference at SUNY Geneseo. This was my first time at SUNY Geneseo, first time at the Coming Together conference and second time at the NYSACAC conference.

The conference experience was truly great but I won't try and bog down the blog with lots of information about the obscure sessions I attended (or the one I co-presented!). Instead I want to focus on the most relevant part of the conference to you readers which is: the campus!

SUNY Geneseo was so great! I loved everything from the architecture, to the main street adjacent to the campus, to the gazebo at the heard of campus with a killer view. The student ambassadors were phenomenal - the sort of representatives that make you feel like I want to tell the entire senior class to apply. They were energetic, courteous, and working day and night as VOLUNTEERS. I've said for years that SUNY Geneseo is the SUNY system's answer to the 'small private liberal arts college.' The emphasis is on being a well rounded learner and the vibe reminded me of many other small colleges in the Northeast. We got to hear a keynote address from a faculty member and that only bolstered my already positive opinion of the place.

Particularly with so much chatter out there about getting a liberal arts degree, I'm thrilled to have places like Geneseo where students CAN pursue their passions and NOT go into debt.