Saturday, September 16, 2017

Boston NACAC- Day 2


I realize I'm posting this on Saturday. Yesterday was really long.

The first session I went to yesterday was about how to most effectively write recommendations in an organized narrative format. In that spirit, I'm going to be entering this blog post as a series of shorter highlights instead of regular paragraphs. 
  • 'Recommendations That Changed Lives' is going to be a NACAC session that people talk about for years going forward. I'm not saying that as a possibility, I'm saying it as a fact. Multiple people who were there with me used phrases like "The price of my registration was worth it for that session alone. If I left now, I would have gotten my moneys worth."
    • This session was about a growing trend of high school counselors replacing traditional letters of recommendation with 'organized narratives' using bullet points and headers to give brief nuggets about the student instead of carefully crafted paragraphs. 
    • The presenters did their due diligence in contacting colleges to make sure these new 'letters' would not negatively impact students and the overwhelming response from colleges was not just that it wouldn't hurt, but that the colleges preferred this model.
    • The most important elements of the letter are explaining the quality of the student's character and any special circumstances in their life. This can be done efficiently and effectively with bullet points. 
    • They also brought up the idea of using peer comments in letters - something I'm strongly considering piloting this year. 
  • The Common App session was next for me. I always try to attend to be sure I'm aware of new changes within the application. 
    • We've had confusion at ElRo about the new self reported transcript function. 
      • ONLY the six schools that are requiring it will be able to see it.  
      • Because we are an annualized school, if students do this they will need to be very careful and accurate in their reporting. 
      • When in doubt, select the 'other' option and type in the text field the specifics about non-traditional courses/credits. 
    • New integration with Google Docs to import text into the application 
    • Fun fact - these schools founded the Common App in 1975:  Trinity, Lafayette, Amherst, Harvard, Emory, Goucher, Princeton, Oberlin, Colgate, Bowdoin, Colorado College, Vassar, SMU, Mills and Carleton. Nice to see a wide range of places, locations, and selectivity levels. 
  • My final session was called - Uncharted Territory: Getting First Generation Students to Consider Broader Options. 
    • Fewer action items within this session, but it is always a nice reminder to spend time with like minded colleagues in our mission to expose students to all of their college options.
  • The rest of my day was spent in the exhibition hall, visiting vendors, and in the counselors college fair.  
Today, Saturday, is the final day. I'm eager to attend the rest of the sessions and return to the office re-energized!

Image