Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Summer Reading


Full confession: I'm not very good at reading in my free time. Working at a school that values reading so much, I had a goal this summer to make use of the New York Public Library and I've had an awesome time reading some really interesting books. (Side note: NYPL is amazing. It is seriously amazon.com for zero dollars. Check it out! Pun intended).

The one I just finished is called The Big Test by Nicholas Lemann. The Big Test is a really fascinating look at the history of testing (and its implications) on our educational system and society as a whole. Granted, I'm a sucker for non-fiction, but I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in understanding how a small exam ballooned into a full fledged industry (complete with industry offshoots like test prep) that has had such a deep and lasting mark on higher education.

Happy Reading!