Friday, October 1, 2010

NACAC Conference Day 1

The whole purpose for me being out of the office this entire week is centered upon the national conference for the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC). This marks my second year in attendance and I'm honored to have been selected as one of the presenters at this year's conference. I have never presented at a national conference before, so if you are reading this before Friday at 10:15 am please wish me luck!

I started the day by registering and getting my official name badge and credentials. I then promptly lost my schedule booklet within two hours of receiving it :/ So far I've been able to hang on to my replacement copy.

The bulk of my afternoon was spent in the opening session. I enjoyed hearing the keynote address from Harvard professor Dr. Roland Fryer and was even more excited to learn that one of my fellow COWS counselors from my Wisconsin trip, Steve Peifer, is secretly a super amazing (and well recognized) honoree at this year's conference. His remarks upon receiving his award were a plea for those of us in the United States to help feed Africa, a mission he has been fulfilling for many many years.

In the evening, I spent time at the CACHET reception. I would love to see more students consider Engineering. It isn't as limiting as it sounds, engineers are really just problem solvers so it is a very adaptable major for later careers (my friend from college was a mechanical engineer and is now a lawyer). Check out the schools in the collaborative if you are thinking engineering.

More updates tomorrow with my big presenting debut!