Wednesday, October 13, 2010

With a Little Help From My Friends . . .

PSAT day is over!  I couldn't have done it without the support of so many people that helped make the day work. The PSAT for 10th and 11th grade involves coordinating over 250 testers, proctors, classrooms, sealed exams, attendance sheets, timers . . . . you see where I'm going with this. Ms. Strasser and Mr. Landri were total rock stars in helping get the day organized and without them I don't think I would have made it through the day without crying. (see: AP exams 2010 :/)

For the 12th grade, my friends (literally, as in my friends from outside of ElRo some of whom I have not seen in years) did help me out. Four of my amazing friends from college came in to participate in a panel. They dispensed great advice about everything from college applications, to surviving the college process with your parents, interview skills, graduate school, and changing your major. Laura, Colin, Elliot and Kate --- thank you for being such great sports and taking time out of your busy week to come and talk to our students. I couldn't have asked for better responses to the student questions.

In the afternoon, once again ElRo staff, the guidance interns, and a volunteer from Learning Leaders helped facilitate the essay writing workshop. I hope, for students that took that hour seriously, there was some real progress made toward stronger, better, and more authentic personal statements.

Sophomores and Juniors, you should get your test results back in early December. Until then, check out the free 'question of the day' feature on the College Board website.